Friday, November 15, 2013

That Which Pleases Him

"Now the God of peace, who brought from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen." -Hebrews 13:20-21

I wish His Word overwhelmed me more. I wish His peace and power and blood and equipping were on my mind far, far more. 

Preaching, preparing sermons, has a way of revealing how starving you really are for the food you're trying to feed others. I preach on this text in a week, and it's been slow coming, but now 25 minutes doesn't seem like long enough to feast on this. 

Praying that these truths will be worked out, and that He will equip me to do even this, working in me what brings Him pleasure. 

Oh, how I want Him to be pleased! Not just in the holy of a homework assignment for preaching class, but in this weight of His glory called life. It takes a whole life to learn how to live - how to live in the presence of Christ. There is so much I don't know, so many ways He wants to teach me, grow me. Could He first be pleased with my teachability, and then with my successful learning? 

But, oh, that He would be pleased with my living. 

And I have no fear. He is working in me all that which pleases Him. I cannot please Him, and yet at the same time I can do nothing but please Him, if He is sovereign over all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment