Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Surviving the Real World: Ahead of the Crowd

"Tomorrow is the devil's day, but today is God's. Satan does not care how spiritual your intentions are, or how holy your resolutions, if only they are determined to be done tomorrow." -J.C. Ryle

Most of us have heard the saying: Don't put off until tomorrow what you could do today. But, how many of us have chosen to model our lives according to this principle? How many of us constantly procrastinate, and then find we've dug ourselves into a deep hole filled with tasks to do? I think we're all guilty, though some of us find it easier to procrastinate than others. One of my favourite verses is also convicting.

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil." -Ephesians 5:15-16

So often I fail to "make the best use of the time" I have, not realizing how evil the days are. Why put off until tomorrow what could be done today? Why wait to start on that research paper? Why wait to ask that person about their faith? Why wait to invite them to church? Why wait to get done what can be done today, because you might never know what opportunity the Lord has in store for you tomorrow. As I head off to school I pray that I might not waste a moment of my time, keeping before me the fact that I live in a broken world, and that procrastination is not a strategic way to win people for the Kingdom. Is there something you could do right now? Don't put it off until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment