Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quotation Tuesday

"Let us fight as if all depended upon us, but let us look up and know that all depends on Him."
-Charles Spurgeon

That I would know that all depends upon Him, while not falling into the complacency of my sin. That I would fight, for the righteousness that is mine, for the great love I have been shown, for the continual grace showered upon me. That my fight would be a display of my gratitude, and the love, however small, that I return.

How hard it is to continue the fight, to not fall back into sin. Yes, we cannot be saved without His grace, but it is through faith, and that faith must continue, even after salvation has been bestowed. One does not use a certain writing style for an essay, and after receiving a good grade, go back to their old way of writing. No, one continues to improve that style, seeing that it results in a good grade.

Our faith is much the same. Through it we received the salvation that comes only through Christ Jesus, do we now discard it, and believe that things will continue to go well with us? Paul asks in Romans 6, "Shall we continue to sin, that grace may abound?" No, even after we have received the salvation of the Lord we must continue to fight as though all depended on what we do, but with the sure knowledge that we are nothing without Him.

So often I feel as though the grace shown to me is undeserved, and it is! Nevertheless, I can rejoice in this great gift, and continue to fight, that I might show the Giver of that gift how much I desire to fall deeper and deeper in love with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment