Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Quotation Tuesday

For most Americans their number one fear is public speaking, after that they fear death the most. I cannot count myself among most Americans because I fear neither, in fact rather the opposite. I compete in homeschool speech and debate, and I have a national tournament coming up at the end of May. I love to speak in front of people, sharing my beliefs and interests. Neither do I fear death, unlike most people I relish it, I look forward to it.

"Death is no punishment to the believer: it is the gate of endless joy." -Charles Spurgeon

We live in a world where pain, grief, and sin are all to familiar, and all to common. For believers in Christ Jesus, death is the door to a place where there will be no more pain and no more tears. We will rejoice and worship the Almighty God and His Son Jesus Christ! Most wonderful of all there will be no more sin, we will be glorified in the presence of the spotless Lamb. Why do so many fear death? It is simply because they do not have the assurance that they will open their eyes to glory when they pass into eternity.

Yet, is it possible to live in another extreme; instead of a gripping fear of death to have a gripping desire for physical death so that we may live eternally with Him? I am sure it is possible, because that is where my heart is right now. Some days the longing for something higher, something purer, and something more beautiful keeps me from making the most of the days I have been given. My Lord knows the number of hairs on my head, he has a name for each star in the night sky. Can I not trust Him to bring me home in His own perfect time? And even more, can I not trust Him to provide me with the strength necessary to live for Him here and now.

We are in the midst of running a race, I do not want to stop running so that I can dream of the finish line, I will continue to run, keeping my eyes fixed on Him who waits for me at the finish line, gathering strength to run to the best of my ability all the way there. By His strength and in His timing may I see you all in the winner's circle on the other side of the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment