Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Moon

As a child the moon fascinated me. It possessed no light of its own, and yet it shone brighter than any star in the night sky. It was a barren waste land, and yet it was filled with a unique light and life. It changed each day, sometimes waning, sometimes growing stronger. What was its source of light and life? How could something so dry and lifeless become something so beautiful? Now that I'm older I know the answers to those questions, and I've learned quite a bit more about the moon. What I've learned has led me to notice a similarity between myself and the moon of God's creation. I was born into sin, dry, barren, wasted. But the Lord saw something off of which to reflect His glory, and if I give Him full control of my barren, sinful soul he will do just that. Without him I am nothing, I have no light or beauty of my own. When people admire the light of my smile, and my seemingly endless joy may I point them toward its source, and not accept praise that is not rightfully mine. When the light and joy within me seems to be diminishing may I stand strong knowing that after the valley comes a mountain, and that the full moon will come again. Isn't it marvelous how God uses His creation to reveal Himself to us? May we never ignore, or deny, the power available to us when we allow him to shine in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment