Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Playing Dress Up

 I recently finished reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, I love to read and he is one of my favorite authors. I highly recommend this book and anything else that he has written. He uses wonderful analogies that make sometimes confusing concepts crystal clear. I would like to share one of those analogies with you.

             I beg you therefore, be imitators of me. 1 Corinthians 4:16

We are called to imitate Christ, to be like Him in every way, but how does this happen? I think we sometimes expect to wake up one morning acting like Christ. Sorry, not happening! I can guarantee that if we continue to think this way we will be disappointed.

We have all probably played dress up, we have pretended to be one thing or another. As a child every time I played with dolls I was pretending to be a mom, imitating my own mother. Even though I did not realize it then, that pretending has prepared me to be a mother someday.

Why not apply this to imitating Christ. If we imitate Christ, in the words of C.S. Lewis, dress up as Christ, we will gradually become more and more like him.

                                     Another Analogy

You may be in a bad mood, you do not feel like being kind to anyone, but if you pretend to be kind you find yourself actually enjoying being kind. By putting on the guise of kindness you become, with time, kind without having to pretend. You played dress up then pretending to be a princess, today let us dress up in the character of Christ and we may find ourselves truly becoming princesses, daughters of the King of Kings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment