Monday, March 30, 2009

Modesty In Dance

I am sure most of us, at one time or another in our dancing lives, have considered the modesty of traditional tights and leotards. I have recently struggled with this and have come to a conclusion that you may or may not agree with. I believe that modesty is, first and foremost, a heart issue. If you are feeding and cultivating a modest heart it will show outwardly. What we wear and how we present ourselves is very important and stems from the state of our heart.

If you studio is not extremely strict then t-shirts, shorts, and sweats are a great way to ensure modesty. I have a pretty strict dress code at my studio so I wear a short wrap skirt and a loosely fitted dance sweater. What we as dancers do can be dangerous if done incorrectly. What we wear is meant for ease of movement and so that the teacher can correct our mistakes. If we are dancing in a modest way (not flaunting) and what we are wearing is as modest as possible then we can be sure that God will honor that. Modesty is a heart issue, examine your heart for that is where true virtue lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment