Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Irrationality of Fear

"All fear is but the notion that God's love ends." -Ann Voskamp

The last year has been filled with fear, but through it all He has proven that His. Love. Never. Ends. And I need the reminder, a talisman, a watchword, and hope to stare me straight in the face until truth blinds me to all fear. So I write it out, on brown paper in loops and curls, and I press hard so I won't be able to miss it.

And I post it.

Not on facebook, not on twitter. Not even here. 

I post it on my door to the world, above the door handle, right at eye level. "All fear is but the notion that God's love ends." 

It whispers soft and shouts loud as I stand there preparing to turn a knob and turn over a new leaf and step into the world without carrying my fear baggage along. Because fear binds, but not to Him. It binds me to myself and my sin and the past, but when Christ frees us from fear He doesn't set us free to choose our own chains. No, He locks the chains on His own hands and feet so that He can never leave, never forsake us. And we are most free when we are so imbedded in Christ that not even death can separate us... when death least of all would separate us. 

And if God is love, how could His love ever end without ending Him? 

There are not irrational fears, only the irrationality of fear itself. He cannot end. Love never, ever fails. 

"I believe. Help (and heal and undo and eradicate) my unbelief."

No comments:

Post a Comment