Friday, July 19, 2013

19 Year Grace

I love lists. 

If you've known me for any amount of time, you know this. I make a list every day, sometimes in my head, but most times on paper at the corner of my desk. I guess it's my way of keeping control in the midst of all I can't control.

I'm not addicted.... I don't think....

Today, I'm a year older, a year closer to heaven, and I've made so many lists that bind me, lists that mock me if I don't get everything done. So, if I can't give up the lists altogether, I might as well make a list that will foster freedom. 

I have 365 days left to be a "teenager." I've accomplished quite a bit between 13 and 19, maybe too much. I've placed a lot of pressure on myself, and some of my closest friends have joked that I skipped being a teenager. 

My word for year 19 is rest. "In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and trust shall be your strength" (Isaiah 30:15).

I want to be more and do less. I don't want to get so caught up in life that I miss it. 

Grace for a Year

Have a snowball fight. 

Start an herb garden on my window sill.

Dance in the plaza. 

Go star gazing on the beach.

Sleep on the roof.

Get my nails done with a good friend. 

Buy myself a new journal.

People watch in downtown.

Buy flowers whenever I want. 

Never be afraid to tell people that I love them.

Read poetry every day.

Make or thrift any new clothes. 

Take more naps.

Dress up and go the the art museum.

Explore a new neighborhood. 

See a Joffrey performance.

Go horseback riding.

Spend a fall day with the trees.

Laugh daily. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. And it's still hard to believe you're actually 19 now....

    ReplyDelete