Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Love in the Song of Solomon

In a topical study of love in the Bible we would invariably reach the Song of Solomon at some point. I've chosen to only present one verse from the book. There is a lot that could be said about the Song of Solomon, but I am not particularly qualified to say it. If you are interested in learning more about the book, check out Mark Driscoll's sermon series on it.

"He brought me to the banquet house,
          and his banner over me was love."
                                             -Songs 2:4

The Song of Solomon is clearly meant to be a celebration of sexuality in it's proper place - I am not one to over spiritualize the book because of shame or embarrassment. Nevertheless, what it speaks directly about is of little concern to me at present, so, though I recognize and understand it's literal interpretation I also believe that it can be applied to my present situation, for Christ is the highest example of all that we value, and sexuality too must be included in that.

The more I understand my own sin and Christ's love and provision in spite of it, I cannot help but to be struck with the fact that I love Him so little in return. We display our loves to human beings in a human, so that our sentiments will be understood and received.

"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."

Does it not follow that we ought to love Him in spirit and in truth as well? How is that done?

It's all in two words: Forsaking and Following

What you are willing to forsake for the Master is a measure of your love for Him. Will you forsake sin? Will you forsake comfort? Will you forsake fame and significance? Will you forsake all other rights you claim in order to love Him better?

We - I, cling to so much that is not of Him.

"Trust in Jesus" implies trusting in Jesus alone and nothing else! But there is so much that I allow to share space with Him - so much I have not let go of.

If forsaking is an active turning away from something, then following is an active turning to. You cannot have one without the other. In order to turn toward something you must turn from what previously held your attention. 

Following Jesus is not so much a trailing behind Him as it is walking alongside Him; not so much observing as it is imitating. By being called to follow we are being called to join Him in all that He is doing.

He is rescuing abandoned children in Delhi; He is providing food for the hungry in Ndola; He is making whole again those broken by sex trafficking in Siem Reap; He is comforting the refugees of City Heights as they adjust to a new land; and He is revealing Himself as more than a prophet to the intellectuals in Jeddah.

To follow Him in all of this cannot be done without forsaking. Though painful, it is worth it.

He is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment