Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Surviving the Real World: In Obedience

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments." -John 14:15

"My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you." -Proverbs 3:1-2

As I head off to college, one of the new responsibilities I will have is the charge of a monthly allowance. Though I will take my meals on campus I will have to budget my allowance in order to meet any of my other needs. I have never had such a responsibility before, and I pray that the Lord will help me to manage my funds wisely.

This brings to mind something that many college students might forget, tithing. The Lord has admonished us to set aside a portion of our earnings (or in this case, an allowance) to give toward His church. If we are a part of a local body of believers, as explained in my previous post, then we have a responsibility to use our tithe in support of that church. I look forward to living on my own, not only because I have more freedom to make my own decisions, but also because I will be able to choose to obey more of the Lord's commands of my own accord.


No comments:

Post a Comment