Thursday, August 26, 2010

History

What is history? I have been working on my American History assignment this morning, and the question presented itself to my mind. What is history? How does something qualify as history? Is history anything that has happened in the past? Is the time I spent swimming laps at the pool early this morning history? Or is history only the important things that have happened, only the things that change what will happen in the future?

Here is a dictionary definition of history: The past considered as a whole.

Well, that's pretty general. History is the past, the past is history. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it." History is important yes, but only because we are finite human beings who are bound by space and time. We ought to study our history, but only in order to prepare for our future. We must not dwell on past mistakes, but learn from them so that in the future we succeed. Just as we study the history of our nation, or of our world we ought to study the history of our faith. We learn of Christ from the foreshadowing in the Old Testament, we are encouraged when we read of the faith and courage of the early Christians in the New Testament. We look back to learn and to be encouraged, but all the while we look forward, "to the Author and Finisher of our faith."

As I study the history of my country, I am also looking forward to the history that I may be a part of making, and working hard now so that the former will prepare for the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment