Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Quotation Tuesday

"Never may you, like me, dread to be the instrument of evil to what you wholly love." -Charlotte Brontë in her novel Jane Eyre

If you are not familiar with the plot line of Jane Eyre, I would recommend reading a summary on the book, it may help you understand this post better. :) It is a classic romance novel, the main character being Jane Eyre herself. I read this novel as a school assignment (I am not usually in the habit of reading romance novels) and this quote jumped out at me.

While Jane is pining over the loss of her lover, I read this line and the image of my Savior on the cross immediately came to mind. I do dread to be the instrument of evil to what I wholly love. Because of me Jesus Christ was nailed to a cross, beaten, spit upon, humiliated and killed. My sin held him to the cross, my filthiness was why he suffered. I was an instrument of evil, I was the hammer that drove the nails, I was the nails, I was the cross, and the crown of thorns, all rolled into one. That which I wholly love was ripped to pieces for me.

If I ended my post here all would be lost, my life would still be nothing but an instrument of evil. But fortunately I haven't finished yet. At the end of Jane Eyre she is reunited with her lover, likewise this story ends in a reunion. Instead of me, an instrument of evil to my Savior, killing Him with my sin, He, through his death, has brought me new life, and transformed me from an instrument of evil to an instrument of praise.

Soli Deo Gloria! To God alone be the glory, great things he has done for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment