Friday, August 21, 2009

Resolved.....

1. Never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

2.To live with all my life, while I do live.

3. That I will live so as I should wish I had done when I come to die.

4. Never willfully to omit anything, except the omission be for the glory of God; and frequently to examine my omissions.

5. To study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.

6. To be strictly and firmly faithful to my trust, that in Proverbs 20:6, "A faithful man who can find?" may not be partly fulfilled in me.

7. In narration's never to speak anything but the pure and simple verity.

8. Not only to refrain from an air of dislike, fretfulness, and anger in conversation, but to exhibit an air of love, cheerfulness, and benignity.

9. Never to do anything but duty, and then according to Eph. 6:6-8, do it willingly and cheerfully as unto the Lord, and not to man; "knowing that whatever good thing any man doth, the same shall he receive of the Lord."

10. Always to do that, which I shall wish I had done when I see others do it.

(Taken from The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards, written at the age of 19.)

No comments:

Post a Comment