Friday, February 20, 2009

Your Worst Enemy

Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right.-Henry Ford

  I was not blessed with the essential physical attributes of a dancer. I have no turnout, I am not naturally flexible, and I have really short legs. This does not keep me from dancing though. I enjoy dancing, I love the beautiful music that sweeps you away into another world. Dancing makes me happy. It is true that I will never be a prima ballerina or dance with New York City Ballet, but I do not mind, I keep doing and enjoying what I love. If we only focus on what we cannot do and on what we wish we could change about ourselves there would be no more joy in dancing. Of course there are certain things we can change with enough hard work, and we should to the best of our ability. Take flexibility for example, I am not naturally flexible at all, but I wanted to change that. My goal was the splits. It was nearing summer, a good time to improve I thought. Well, simply put, it was no easy task. Every morning and every night I stretched. Day after day, week after week, month after month. Progress was slow, but I was not going to give up. Four months later I could do the splits! That was about three years ago, now my classmates envy my flexibility. I just chuckle and tell them that with four months and a lot of hard work they can be just as flexible. =) This not only applies to dancing, but to other aspects of our lives as well. Do not give up! Make that extra effort to do your devotions every morning, just as you might in improving your dancing. You may never be a prima ballerina, but that does not have to keep you from deepening you relationship with Jesus Christ. You are your own worst enemy, only you can keep yourself from becoming the person that God wants you to be!
Luke 1:37 says, For with God nothing shall be impossible. Do not hold yourself back, let yourself go! Allow God to work in your heart and your life, and what shines through will be more beautiful than any prima ballerina!

No comments:

Post a Comment